Sunday, December 4, 2011

Restaurant Style Steak

We are a sucker for a great steak, especially Sirloin Steak.
I thought grilled steak is the best; but boy was I so wrong.
For me, this is the best way to cook steak.
Cooking it this way, the result would be succulent, flavorful, tender and juicy. Which I think the perfect steak. When you buy your meat make sure that is has a lot of marbling (meaning it has a lot of white strips or fat, this would make your steak juicy and flavorful). So here is my version of restaurant style steak:

Ingredients:

2 pcs. dry aged sirloin steak (trust me on this; once you've tasted it you would never go to a steak house, it is the best but expensive) or just regular
sea salt (there is just something about sea salt, that when you pair it with beef it makes it succulent)
1 lemon zest
course ground black pepper
2 tbsp. parsley butter (mix soften unsalted butter with parsley) if you don't have this just unsalted butter is fine
pan with griddle marks (important).

You want your meat to sear, the griddle marks prevent the meat to steam in it's own juices. Make sure the pan handle won't melt when you put it in the oven.

* Preheat your oven to 450 F.
* Make sure that your meat is room temperature.
I suggest to let it sit out for about 30 minutes minimum.
* Using a paper towel pat your steak dry(this is important; so that the steak does not have extra water for it to steam rather than sear)
* In high heat let your pan warm up for about 10 minutes.
Put your hands on top of the griddle if you can feel the heat the pan is ready for the meat.
* Rub your meat with salt, black pepper, and lemon zest and tap it down to let the meat soak the seasoning.
* Place your steaks in the warm griddle pan let it be.
Do not touch it and let it sear and caramelized the fat about 3- 4 minutes.

Flip it to the other side and do the same.
* Add 1 tbsp. butter on top of each steak.
* Place it in the oven for 10minutes maximum or else your steak would be dry.
Time it to be sure.
This would make your steak tender and cook through, I like mine medium well.
If you like your steak medium rare, searing it would be medium rare; what I do is just toss it in the oven for 3 minutes and it will do the job.
* Ever wonder why when you cut your steak it's bloody and the juices ran out?
That's because it did not have enough time to rest. Letting your meat rest will seal back all those wonderful juices that makes your steak perfect and flavorful.
Let your meat rest about 10minutes max before serving.
I usually let my meat rest in the griddle pan where I cook it so that it won't be too cold.

PS: I really do suggest dry aged meat, the flavor is just different and wonderful than the regular meat; this is the big factor why we think our steak is better than any steakhouse we've been.
After learning this technique I don't go to steak house anymore well, maybe when I am being lazy to cook.
Trust me my husband and I had been to a lot and by far this is the best we've had.
This is easier and you know your getting the best.
It's home cook after all! Enjoy...

3 comments:

alowther said...

That looks and sounds delicious Cathe! The picture looks like it came straight out of a fine restaurant's menu!!

Anonymous said...

I'll try this!!! Sounds GREAT!!!
Love reading your blog.Sue

It's All About Food and the Journey to it! said...

Thanks, it was wonderful.