Tuesday, November 22, 2011

5 Thanksgiving Spices

For me, I feel Thanksgiving is really in the air when I see pumpkins all over the grocery store, pies in one table corner to the next and unbeatable sale prices of various food products.
It makes me happy and glad to see people are scrambling from one aisle to the next, looking for their particular ingredients to prepare their perfect Thanksgiving feast for all their loved ones.
But, the one thing that really, makes me smile and gleam of excitement is the Aroma in the air.
For the last week, that I have been going into my local market, I intentionally parked and go into the bakery entrance, so I can inhale all that sweet Aroma of baking and the lingering smell of spices that had been use.
And therefore, I have come to the conclusion that these spices are most use for this time of the year.

Cinnamon... Ah that sweet, nutty smell of cinnamon, you just know that your getting something sweet or savory.

Cloves.... I can't really describe clove, it is in between Nutmeg and Cinnamon I suppose, but, when a particular dish have clove you would get that wonderful hint of something that you can't name of but you know that it's there.

Nutmeg.... This is one of my favorite spice when I make sauces, especially bechamel or carbonara. This spice for me, just liven the dish up.

All Spice.... Particularly use in pies, I think an apple pie without allspice is like an apple pie without apple. Well, for me anyway.

Vanilla... Because, it would just remind you of all the sweet goodies you would have the day and after Turkey Day.