Sunday, November 20, 2011

Free Range Brown Eggs or White Eggs?

It is definitely a question of " Can I afford it?". For most of us we don't care which is which, but how much is the price difference? The Brown Eggs are definitely more expensive about 1.5x more. But let's say we are comparing it via taste, here is what I found: I found that Brown Eggs are better when you eat the egg by itself, like boiled, scramble or anything that just the egg. You can definitely taste the flavor that everyone is talking about and the quality is there. I also, found that when I boiled my brown eggs it taste more savory and creamier; I like my boiled egg a bit runny. Also when you open the brown eggs it has more white in it and less yolk; which is good when you are making a meringue. And also, less fat if you look at how much whites are in it. Brown eggs are not necessary when you are baking since you only use eggs to bind whatever it is that you are baking and you can not really taste it.
I found that when I cooked my White Eggs; boiled the way I liked it, it was fishy. I almost threw up, I discarded it and just had a piece of toast instead. In baking I was not able to taste the difference between the two. I would say use Brown Eggs when you are cooking breakfast, but use White Eggs when you are baking. You could balance your budget this way and also, get the taste and flavor that everyone seems to be talking about!

No comments: